Last week, I was conversing with my 11-year-old daughter, who is now in 5th grade. She was writing an essay on heroes. First, she interviewed me about my heroes. It was quite a fun exercise! I told her that JESUS CHRIST was my #1 HERO, because HE saved me from eternal damnation by offering up HIS life as the perfect sacrifice for my sin. Also, with this saved life, I am able to walk by faith in this world, bringing Heaven into the Earth, according to HIS will and predestined plan. I explained to her that my Husband is my second hero. He saved me from a life of mediocrity. He challenged me to exercise my faith and to locate myself--spiritually, mentally and physically. He freed me from being a passive thinker and a lukewarm Christian through no-nonsense discipleship! Finally, I shared with her that my Mom is my third hero. My Mom saved me from being a stressed-out stay-at-home Mom. She knows about the 24/7 grind of having many little ones at home. Her CHRIST-centered suggestions, feminine sensitivity and grandmotherly eagerness to help all-the-time has kept me sound and thriving as a Mom!
Who are your heroes, in this season of Motherhood?
Now, you must know that I was teary-eyed by the time she was finished with her very detailed account of my heroine qualifications! It melted my heart completely! Moms require these moments of genuine affirmation to keep going strong...especially during these long days, yet, quick years! What I learned from this Mommy Moment was that there is no effort or sacrifice that goes unnoticed or unappreciated. My ABBA DADDY is always watching...to catch me doing good! And amazingly, my children are watching too--not to criticize, but to cheer me on!
Are you a Hero Mom?
Every mom is a heroine...so it is time to celebrate you!!
Characteristics of a Hero (according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary):
- One endowed with great strength
- A warrior
- One admired for achievements and noble qualities
- One who shows great courage
- Faith Strength--Are you daily lifting up your children in prayer? Do you have daily confessions that you say together and that you teach them to say alone? Do you sow "seeds" to reap harvests, for their benefit?
- Mind Strength--Are you the tutor for homework? Are you the resident teacher on the homefront? Is Google your T.A. (teacher's assistant?) Are you thinking in the capacity of multiple grade levels, everyday? Are you a home-schooling Mom?
- Physical Strength--Did you carry a baby for 10 months? Did you endure a lengthy adoption process? Did you nurse or bottle feed your newborn every 2-3 hours...for months? Is R.E.M. sleep a faded memory? Are you constantly cleaning your house...doing laundry all the time...washing walls...grocery shopping...cooking...etc.? Did you refuse that third cup of coffee or chocolate bar? Are you a working Mom...always meeting a need? Are you a stay-at-home Mom...wishing for a lunch break? Do you walk up stairs or a treadmill or visit a gym throughout the week to keep those endorphins flowing?
- Emotional Strength--Do you keep the anger inside when another child demeans your little angel? Do you shed tears on the inside when your daughter cries about the loneliness of not having a friend at school? Do you hold it together silently, in HIM, when your baby suffers from any ailment...from a runny nose, to a spinal tap or surgery?
So, as a Hero Mom, after carrying a baby and giving birth or adopting a child (once, twice or numerous times), we dedicate hours upon hours of service, week after week, and day after day for decades!! But we can rest in this truth, that with JESUS as our Commander-in-CHIEF, our mission shall succeed...they will grow up and so will we! HE will get the glory, and as a bonus, we get some praise!
Here is a BLESSING of admiration for all the Hero Moms who took their valuable time to read this blog entry: "There are many virtuous and capable women in the world, but you surpass them all!!"
Please share some triumphs and victories from your adventures as a Hero Mom!